Please review the existing schedule in your email box labeled Call Vac Dent xlsx.pdf to see if the weeks you are requesting have been taken. Please submit your request by email to _______.
One person, adult or pediatric, allowed off at one time.
Policy: To establish a vacation guideline/policy for members.
Purpose: To ensure that there is a uniform, consistent and fair process of securing vacation time for each member after our clinical and business practice commitments
1.1 Four Weeks of Vacation: Four one-week blocks of annual vacation are granted to full-time members in one-week Monday-Friday increments. Full-week vacations requests have preference over partial-week requests. Only one anesthesiologist is allowed off at any time. More than one individual may be off during “slow periods” as determined by the management committee. Vacation days cannot be carried over if unused to the following year.
1.2 Two Priority Vacation Weeks: In December of the preceding year, you can request two priority weeks of vacation for the following year. The deadline for submission of the two priority weeks is December 15, after which all remaining requests fall into the vacation request rules (1.3-1.11). That is Priority Weeks 1 and 2 that have not been submitted before December 15th will lose their priority and the general rules will apply.
1.3 Vacation Requests: The remaining vacation can be requested on a quarterly basis with the requests made in the quarter preceding the desired vacation (see 1.5). Priority will be given to others for weeks that were taken by the individual the previous year. Prime weeks are rotated: Spring Break, Christmas, Thanksgiving and summer. Time off requests of more than one week will be sent for review to the management committee.
1.4 For new members not working an entire year and members working part-time, vacation will be prorated per the number of days’ members will spend working that year.
52 weeks/year = 20 vacation days. You will accumulate 1 vacation day for each 13 weekdays worked or 2.6 weeks worked.
1.5 Full week vacation requests made 6 weeks prior to each quarter will have priority per the date Dr. Rothschiller and Dr. Davis receive the request. The 6-week deadline dates are Feb 15, May 15, Aug 15 and Nov 15. Following the 6-week deadline and prior to 3o days of the requested date (1.6), requests for open weeks occur without competition.
Tips on Vacation Requests
Read the policy carefully, there are periods of time when your request can be bumped by another request for the same week (see deadline dates). Please do not invest money in your vacation unless it has been approved by _______. Consider buying travel insurance if you need to book a year in advance.
Example: Spring Break, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Priority Weeks will be requested by all of us with school-aged children. Your request will go into a lottery with the other requests. In fairness to your colleagues, those who have had this priority week off in the past will not be eligible to enter again until we have completed a full rotation of names.
|Vacation Week Requests for:||Vacation Request 6-Week Deadline|
|2 Annual Priority Vacation Weeks||Dec 15|
1.6 Unless leave is of an emergency nature, a request less than 30 days prior to the date may be denied if it is disruptive to our clinical or business commitments.
1.7 Blocked Days: Every effort is made to give people time off, but our primary responsibility is to our practice. The following days are blocked for vacation requests unless the management committee makes an exception.
- Fridays before major holidays are blocked for vacation to all members due to the large volume of cases.
- Jewish Holidays are blocked for pediatric call members unless it is a slow week (January and September), which may change yearly.
- The week of January 1st is blocked every year.
- Partner’s annual business conferences are blocked.
- Scheduled events (e.g., maternity leave) are blocked.
1.8 Holidays and Weekends:
- Members will be off all observed US holidays and weekends.
- Dr. Abramson will vacation the week of January 1st every year, if requested. He has agreed to take call on Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and their affiliated weekend. He will be off the Jewish Holidays, which will take priority over anyone’s vacation requests.
- Members will rotate call, New Year’s Day and the affiliated weekend.
1.9 Personal Time Off: Employees will need to take time off from work from time to time for a variety of different reasons, other than planned annual leave.
- Personal time off for appointments and meetings is not granted when you are on first call or late call. All anesthesiologists are required to be available from 0630 – 1700. It is the responsibility of the anesthesiologist requesting personal time off to make call and case schedule arrangements and then submit those to the Aegis Case Scheduler and Call Scheduler for approval. Days off are not guaranteed and are dependent on the schedule.
- Early out on Fridays can usually be accomplished by 1 p.m. Members may have 4 early out Fridays per year.
- Time off for medical and dental appointments: It is recommended that appointments be made at the end of the day to avoid disruption in the schedule. Please notify the case scheduler and call scheduler so a notice can be placed on the schedule (Early Out/Out by 2 PM). If you need to be out for an early or mid day appointment, please contact the management as soon as possible so they can arrange for a temporary replacement.
- Time off for family emergencies and public duties: Please contact the management as soon as possible so arrangements can be made in the schedule.
2.0 Vacation Requests: All vacation requests must be submitted online. Each entry below will be recorded in a database and a copy of the submission will be emailed to Drs. Rothschiller. Dr. Rothschiller will post it as “Dr VAC REQ PND” until Dr. _________ approves the request. If there is a conflict with the request, the committee (Dr. King and Dr. Aleem) will review. No leave is official until:
- You receive email confirmation that it has been approved.
- You have emailed conflict approvals to Dr. Rothschiller.
- It is posted on the Vacation-Call schedule.
Vacation request emails are electronically filed. Please make sure Dr. Rothschiller is notified of email address changes.
2.1 Once a vacation request has been approved, the member agrees to take the requested vacation days. Vacation weeks may be changed if approved by the management committee.
Case and Call Schedule Policy and Procedure Manual
3 Case Schedule Responsibilities
3.1 All anesthesiologists are to be available for work from 0630 to 1700.
3.2 Operating room daily anesthesia assignments shall be made by Dr. Wyant or his designee. Anesthesia assignments shall be made to maximize operational efficiency.
3.3 The daily OR assignments shall be finalized on the preceding business day by 1700, at which time it can be accessed and downloaded from the cloud schedule.
3.4 Aegis anesthesiologists are to call their assigned patients the night before an anesthetic.
3.5 Each anesthesiologist is responsible for the completion of his/her assigned case list regardless of call position.
3.6 If changes occur in your case schedule, you are required to notify the Aegis Anesthesia Scheduler asap.
3.7 Add-on and emergency surgical cases will be done by all anesthesiologists. These cases will be assigned with consideration to call position by Dr. Ogg or his designee. Anesthesia members who are not fulfilling their assigned call duties should be reported to the member’s board for review.
5 Call Schedule Responsibilities
5.1 All Aegis members shall take Anesthesia call. This call shall be distributed fairly among Aegis anesthesia associates based on the anesthesia work schedule and administrative duties.
5.2 A separate pediatric and adult call schedule shall be maintained by Aegis Anesthesia Associates. There will be a first and late call person for pediatric and adult anesthesia. The Board will elect an anesthesiologist to produce the call and vacation schedules, i.e. the Anesthesia Vacation and Call Scheduler.
6 First Call Anesthesiologist
6.1 The first call anesthesiologists shall receive a shorter schedule, when deemed possible, to be first available for add-on cases and life-threatening emergencies.
6.2 The first call anesthesiologist shall be contacted by Case Scheduler and will be expected to be immediately available to do add-on cases and life-threatening emergencies.
6.3 The first call anesthesiologists shall be available for 24 hour periods (0700-0700).
7 Late Call Anesthesiologist
7.1 The late call person may be assigned the latest scheduled room, enabling the first call person to be available for add-on cases and life-threatening emergencies. However, anesthesia assignments shall be made to maximize operational efficiency and at the discretion of Dr. __________. Personal appointments should not be scheduled for days that you are on first or late call.
7.2 Changes in the call schedule require notification to the Aegis Anesthesia Case Scheduler and the Aegis Anesthesia Call Scheduler (Dr. Rothschiller). Changes can be submitted electronically. However, changes are not official until it is added to the Vacation-Call schedule. Please be advised, however, submitting a request does not guarantee its approval.
Absences – See Annual Leave Policy for Vacations and Personal Business
Revised by James L. Rothschiller, MD on 12-2016